I know what you’re thinking: “Ugh, another vegan with a green smoothie!” I bet you’re picturing the classics: banana (nope!) spinach or kale (nnnnnope!), protein powder (nope), non dairy milk (nahhhh).
This green smoothie is for people who aren’t really interested in drinking their meals but want something nice and light as a snack or side. It combines the peppery taste of celery (calm down, it’s not a savoury smoothie) with lightly sweet pineapple and the light taste of green tea and mellow matcha.
I served this up as a side to my protein breakfast bites, but of course you can serve this alongside your favourite small breakfast main: toast, cereal, oatmeal. This smoothie doesn’t have a great deal of protein, so always serve alongside something filling.
Freshened up green smoothie, serves one
- Refined sugar-free
- Prep time: 5 minutes (plus time to chill green tea)
- 1 cup brewed green or white tea, chilled (I brew and chill in the fridge overnight)
- 1/3 cup frozen pineapple
- 1-2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp avocado
- 1 tsp matcha powder
- Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 cup ice (optional)
- Combine the tea, frozen pineapple, celery, ginger, avocado and optional cayenne pepper and ice, in a blender. Blend on high until smooth.
That’s it! Gotta love a nice simple recipe after all these big breakfasts and meals I’ve been posting.
We were just off to Chicago this past weekend (although I wrote this before we went) so you can expect a blog post soon about what I ate while I was in the (allegedly) windy city. Happy spring!