Disclaimer: I am not grain-free (as a vegan zombie, I love graiiiiiins). But just as I don’t eat gluten-free, soy-free or (entirely) sugar-free, I like to provide as many alternates as possible for a diverse readership. I also just think it’s fun to eat differently sometimes!
I have always found overnight oats a little boring (just one big giant “meh” from me) but I do love how high in protein they are without a ton of effort. I told myself I’d never do an overnight oats recipe on Urban Garlic because it just seems way too basic, but I got the idea to come up with an alternative that’s 1) higher in protein and 2) grain-free for people who need the alternative.
The result is an overnight oats (or, I guess, n’oats) recipe that is hearty and filling but still low-maintenance, easy to prepare and kid-friendly! This recipe makes two servings, so it’s a great Sunday night meal-prep routine to kickstart your week, not having to worry about breakfast for two days.
High-protein overnight n’oats (serves two)
- Refined sugar-free
- Nut-free Option
- Prep time: 5 minutes
- Cook time: N/A
- 1/3 cup hemp, flax or chia seeds (or a mix*)
- 3 tbsp soft nuts (like cashews, almonds, macadamia or sunflower seeds for a nut-free option), chopped/processed into a fine crumb or coarse meal
- 1 scoop neutral-tasting protein powder of your choice**
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened plant milk of your choice
- Pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- Optional: vanilla and cinnamon
- Toppings of your choice
* In my experience, hemp seeds are not as absorbent as flax or chia seeds, so I’d recommend not doing 100% hemp.
** One scoop is usually two tablespoons, so I based my volumes on this assumption.
- Combine the seeds, processed nuts, protein powder, coconut flour, sea salt and cinnamon (if using) in a medium-sized bowl and whisk to combine evenly.
- Add in the milk and vanilla (if using) and stir to combine. It shouldn’t be pasty (yet).
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- You may have to add a splash of milk or water in the morning, but otherwise, spoon into bowls and top with your choice of fruits, dairy-free yogurt or kefir, granola and more!