Heyo friends! Jarrod and I sticking to a meal plan is going very well these days — Jarrod is eating breakfast more at home and giving less of his money to Tim Hortons and their breakfast sandwiches. Woo hoo! We’re also both finding we’re keeping fuller throughout the day.
Even though we don’t often prep ahead for meals (except for lunches), just knowing what you’re going to eat makes a huge difference — stocked fridge, logical plan, clear head. What’s not to love?
I was going to go on about how this smoothie is a great “Friday treat” because it’s “indulgent” and “secretly healthy” but you know what? Food is food. This smoothie is filled with good-for-you stuff and you can eat it on a Friday, a Monday, a Doris Day (a Stockwell Day?). The butternut squash in it gives you about 75% of your daily Vitamin A requirements, plus Vitamin C, B6 and magnesium, not to mention plenty of healthy fibre. There’s added protein from oats, hemp hearts and nut butter, and the dates give it a burst of caramel flavour. Too good to just stick to Fridays!
Salted caramel squash smoothie, serves one
- Refined sugar-free
- 1 cup unsweetened plant milk of choice
- 1/4 cup cubed butternut squash (fresh or frozen, but ensure cooked for softness)
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1 tbsp hemp hearts*
- 1 tbsp rolled oats*
- 1 tbsp nut or seed butter of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of fine-grain sea salt
- 1-2 pitted medjool dates* (or liquid sweetener)
* Ingredients with asterisks tend to be harder to blend, especially if you don’t have an uber-expensive blender like a Blendtec or Vitamix. I splurged on a Vitamix years ago, but if you don’t have one, that’s totally OK. My recommendation would be to soak these ingredients in your milk overnight, then pulse those through the blender a few times by themselves before adding everything else. Alternatively, you can replace the hemp hearts and rolled oats with more of a powdered protein and add a liquid sweetener instead of dates, but dates do give it the more “caramel”-like taste.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend on high until a smooth consistency is achieved. See note regarding the oats, hemp and dates as you may need to do this in two steps.
What’s your favourite way to consume chocolate? Even though I love solid chocolate and brownies, a chocolate smoothie will always be my favourite!