I’ve always been more of a tomato sauce girl, but sometimes, especially when the temperature falls, you just need a good plate of creamy carbs to get you through the evening. When I started making creamy pasta sauces in university, it made me feel like a “real” cook.
Not to mention it’s comforting as hell in the fall!
When I went vegan, I was bored to tears to know that I would either have to a) shell out lots of money for novelty vegan Alfredo sauce (and not be able to control what it tasted like) or b) soak cashews for several hours with the resulting sauce being something that was never as smooth as I wanted it to be.
This recipe, on the other hand, is so simple I almost feel bad posting it as a recipe, but that’s the thing — I don’t know a single vegan who wouldn’t appreciate knowing how to make a quick, creamy vegan pasta that tastes good, doesn’t require soaked cashews and doesn’t require a trip to the health food store!
Unless, of course, your fridge is empty!
This pasta comes together in a little over 15 minutes and is sure to satiate and please your friendly neighbourhood carbophile.
Easy creamy spaghetti
- Vegan, soy-free, nut-free (depending on milk), refined sugar-free, gluten-free option
- Makes two large servings
- Kitchen tools required: Large pot
- 250 grams spaghetti (gluten-free if needed)
- 63 ml (1/4 cup) tahini
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) non-dairy milk (more if needed; I used Ripple pea mylk)
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) Vegg or other vegan egg powder (or, if you don’t have any, try a mix of 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 tsp chickpea flour and 1 tsp black salt)
- Two cloves garlic, minced
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon zest (optional)
- Optional veggie add-ins: Spinach or kale, green peas, Swiss chard, shredded carrots, basil or anything your heart desires (I used spinach and peas!)
- Bring your pasta to a boil on high heat, stirring often.
- When pasta is cooked, ladle out about 1/4 cup of the starchy pasta water before draining the noodles.
- Reduce the hat on the empty pot to low/medium. With a small amount of olive oil, sautée your garlic cloves for two minutes or until they become fragrant.
- Once your garlic has your kitchen smelling like heaven, add the pasta, pasta water and tahini. Mix to incorporate.
- Add in the milk slowly and mix as you go to create a creamy consistency. Keep in mind it will reduce slightly as you add your other ingredients and it heats up.
- Mix in the Vegg and the lemon zest.
- Add in your veggies and mix until the cream is reduced to a consistency you like. If it doesn’t thicken up and you’ve poured too much liquid in, add some cornstarch or arrowroot powder.
Enjoy this right before a nice, thorough workout and then crash into bed!