I never thought I’d see this day, but I’ve grown a little tired of chocolate smoothies. I’ve had a million variations on chocolate smoothies — zucchini, hemp, avocado, the glorious days back when I could stomach a couple dates — but let’s face it, it’s all just chocolate ice cream for breakfast.
Lately I’ve been craving blueberries more than any other berry, and buying frozen blueberries in bulk. This smoothie is high in protein but still naturally sweet without any added sweetener. Cardamom is a great compliment to blueberries, but if you don’t have any, feel free to omit and just enjoy the natural flavour of the bloobs.
Regarding the texture, it’s just thick enough that it can be served as a bowl or drank. The advantage of having a bowl, of course, is that you can have more fun with toppings! I like to top mine with a couple banana slices, extra blueberries, granola, goji… whatever I can get my hands on, really. But if you prefer a drink-about smoothie that you can fit through a crazy-straw, it’s not so thick that you can’t drink it, so enjoy this however you prefer!
Blueberry cardamom smoothie (bowl)
- Prep time: <5 minutes
- Cook time: /
- Yield: One smoothie
- Allergen info: Gluten-free, soy-free, nut-free option, oil free, raw
- One banana, fresh or frozen
- 250 ml (1 cup) blueberries, fresh or frozen (frozen recommended)
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) water or coconut water
- 63 ml (1/4 cup) unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy milk of your choice)
- 63 ml (1/4 cup) hemp hearts*
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground cardamom
- Blend all ingredients on high speed, serve in a bowl, glass or mason jar (plate not recommended) or drink from the blender if no one is looking.
- *If you don’t have a super-powerful blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec, hemp hearts can be tricky to blend. I’d recommend soaking them overnight in your milk/water mixture. You can also try adding the liquid and hemp hearts to the blender first, blending them once, and then adding the rest of the ingredients before you blend again.